Students are guided to self-select reading materials that are at their independent reading level and are supported with a balance of whole group, small group and individualized instruction to progress to the next level.
8th Grade Qur’an
- Beauty in recitation
8th Grade Islamic Studies
- Fard Ayn Program
- Right and responsibilities toward parents
- Aqida (Islamic Creed)
- Fique (jurisprudence) of purification, prayer, and fasting in the month of Ramadan
8th Grade Arabic
- Oral Conversation
8th Grade Language Arts
Since the first publication of the Voyages in English series in 1942, the emphasis has always been on providing students with the necessary tools of oral and written language that honor their abilities and enable them to take their places in a dignified and articulate manner in sought-after educational institutions and, eventually, in the workforce and society. When the focus remains on the student and the level of expectation is high, standards and high-risk tests become ways of assessing student progress rather than goals to be met. A truly excellent instructional language series always sets its sight on lifetime communication competence rather than short-term minimum proficiency test results. Voyages in English has stood the test of time in proving its prowess in preparing students for life in a society that still values dignified communication skills and expects high-level performance.
Grammar in 8th grade begins with learning about the various types of sentences and progresses with instructions in nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs and conjunctions, and punctuation and capitalization. New grammar rules are introduced and older ideas are mastered.
Written and Oral Communication:
Each month students have a new theme in their writing and oral communication instruction. In 8th grade the themes include: personal narratives, how to articles, descriptions, business letters, book reports, persuasive writing, creative writing of tall tales, and research reports.
Literary Exploration – a familiarity with the great books and classics on various themes.
Attentive Reading – the literary proficiency to read with a discerning eye, and to develop a focus on larger themes, messages, and connections with attention to detail and nuance: how to delve into a piece for both pleasure and thoughtful analysis.
Critical Thinking – the techniques and confidence to formulate, express, and defend an opinion in class discussions and presentations, and to develop thoughtful responses to others’ comments.
8th Grade Mandatory Reading List
- Shooting Kabul
- Chasing Lincoln’s Killer
8th Grade Required Independent Reading List
- Life of Pi
- White Fang
- Sense and Sensibility
- Poems of Emily Dickinson
8th Grade Social Studies
- The origins of American government
- The American Dream
- Manifest Destiny, The United States Constitution, the branches of government
- How a bill becomes a law
- The causes of the Civil War, civil rights movements
- United States political parties and elections
- World political and economic systems
- The role of the media
- United States foreign policy
8th Grade Math
- Mix of pre-algebra and algebra skills
- Processes of using and defining linear equations, including using equations to model data and deriving models from actual data
- Four methods of solving systems of two variable equations
- Systems of inequality and their uses
- Factoring and simplifying a variety of polynomial equations and exponential expressions
- Proof and number and properties of real numbers and multiple techniques for solving quadratic equations
- Function notation and trigonometric ratios
- Complex rate, ratio, proportion and unit problems
- Apply statistics to analyzing current social, political and scientific issues
- Exponents and scientific notation
8th Grade Science
With the FOSS Middle School curriculum, students will learn science by doing science. They will develop a deep, durable understanding of science concepts and principles through authentic investigations, analysis, and reflection.
Gravity & Kinetic Waves Module; Chemical Interactions Module; Electromagnetic Force Module
- students explore speed, acceleration, gravity, and collision physics.
- engage in engineering challenge to design a prototype
- learn about the physical properties of mechanical waves
- acquire understanding of modern communications technology and a solid foundation for high school and college physics
- construct a solid basic understanding of the composition of their world and the interactions that maintain and transform it.
- learn to build a circuit, design an electromagnet, and explain the energy transfers that make it all possible
- construct explanations based on observable patterns and develop models that define the cause-and-effect relationships of the forces and interactions they are measuring.
8th Grade Art
- Painting, sewing, sculpture, needle felting, ceramics, murals, digital mediums, photography, observational drawing and more
8th Grade Stewardship Program
- Community and school serve one another over time
- Social entrepreneurship
- Student participate in a campaign to benefit the school library
- Participatory action research and public education to create campaigns and sustainable change
8th Grade Drama, Percussions, and Vocals
- Classroom performances during school events
- Singing in the school assemblies
- Language Arts Enrichment classes in poetry performance and theater
8th Grade PE
- Continuity, change in movement, healthy competition
- Team building, cooperative activities
- Soccer, ultimate games, capture the flag, yard
- Volleyball, basketball, badminton, floor hockey and juggling