Students are guided to self-select reading materials that are at their independent reading level and are supported with a balance of whole group, small group and individualized instruction to progress to the next level.
7th Grade Qur’an
- Beauty in recitation
7th Grade Islamic Studies
- Fard Ayn Program
- Right and responsibilities toward parents
- Aqida (Islamic Creed)
- Fique (jurisprudence) of purification, prayer, and fasting in the month of Ramadan
7th Grade Arabic
- Oral Conversation
7th Grade Language Arts
Since the first publication of the Voyages in English series in 1942, the emphasis has always been on providing students with the necessary tools of oral and written language that honor their abilities and enable them to take their places in a dignified and articulate manner in sought-after educational institutions and, eventually, in the workforce and society. When the focus remains on the student and the level of expectation is high, standards and high-risk tests become ways of assessing student progress rather than goals to be met. A truly excellent instructional language series always sets its sight on lifetime communication competence rather than short-term minimum proficiency test results. Voyages in English has stood the test of time in proving its prowess in preparing students for life in a society that still values dignified communication skills and expects high-level performance.
Grammar in 7th grade begins with learning about the various types of sentences and progresses with instructions in nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs and conjunctions, and punctuation and capitalization. New grammar rules are introduced and older ideas are mastered.
Written and Oral Communication:
Each month students have a new theme in their writing and oral communication instruction. In 7th grade the themes include: personal narratives, how to articles, descriptions, business letters, book reports, persuasive writing, creative writing of tall tales, and research reports.
Literary Exploration – a familiarity with the great books and classics on various themes.
Attentive Reading – the literary proficiency to read with a discerning eye, and to develop a focus on larger themes, messages, and connections with attention to detail and nuance: how to delve into a piece for both pleasure and thoughtful analysis.
Critical Thinking – the techniques and confidence to formulate, express, and defend an opinion in class discussions and presentations, and to develop thoughtful responses to others’ comments.
7th Grade Mandatory Reading List
- Little Women
- The Swiss Family Robinson-Johann David Wyss
- Muhammad by Martin Lings
- Anne of Green Gables
- Cheaper by the Dozen
7th Grade Required Independent Reading List
- Lord of the Rings
- The Red Pony
- Poems of Emily Dickenson
- Goose Girl
- Beowulf the Warrior: Ian Serrailier
7th Grade Social Studies
- What is philosophy?
- Socratic dialogue, pre-Socratic philosophy, Socrates, Plato, Descartes, Hume, Existentialism
- World geography
- The Cultural Revolution in China
- Fascism in WWII Europe and the Holocaust
- The world of Elizabethan England and the works of Shakespeare
- Current events
7th Grade Math
- Mix of pre-algebra and algebra skills including fractions, ratios, rates, statistics, probability, number systems and number theory
- Algebra includes graphing linear and exponential equations, solving one and two variable equations and understanding the derivation and use of linear equations in standard, intercept and point slope forms
- Rigorous and consistent approach to solving math problems, from up front estimation to proof and confirmation
- Proportional reasoning
7th Grade Science
- Defining life and evolution
- Understand cells and how they function
- Human physiology
- Compare human and animal physiology through dissection and observation
- Genetics and inheritance
- Health and disease with a sub-unit on Health and Human Sexuality
7th Grade Art
- Painting, sewing, sculpture, needle felting, ceramics, murals, digital mediums, photography, observational drawing and more
7th Grade Stewardship Program
- Community and school serve one another over time
- Social entrepreneurship
- Student lead a campaign to expand the school library by gathering books and funds
- Participatory action research and public education to create campaigns and sustainable change
7th Grade Drama, Percussions, and Vocals
- Classroom performances during school events
- Singing in the school assemblies
- Language Arts Enrichment classes in poetry performance and theater
7th Grade PE
- Partner work and practicing conflict resolution
- Team building, cooperative activities
- Soccer, ultimate games, capture the flag, yard games
- Volleyball, basketball, badminton, floor hockey and juggling